Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 28, 2010 Author Members Posted July 28, 2010 I'm sure that immigrants everywhere are so touched at the fact that everyone on this thread knows exactly what immigrants need, want, and should get. If I was an immigrant I'm sure I'd want you in charge of the government, otherwise I'd have no idea whether or not I should or can learn English. Except I still don't because nobody has agreed yet as to what I should do, so I guess I'll just sit here. LOL If you were an immigrant who didn't read English, you wouldn't know what this thread said anyhow. And on top of that, if you DID know English, your comment would be moot because it would not be referring to you. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 28, 2010 Author Members Posted July 28, 2010 People are hungry and homeless in USA, in Canada, in Great Britain, in Australia, in Mexico, in Spain, in Portugal, in Italy, in Ireland, in Sudan, in Saudi Arabia, in Iceland, in Denmark, in Sweden, in Norway, in China, in Vietnam, in Cambodia, in Austria, in Germany, in Russia, in Ukraine, and in every other country in the world. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
bonnie Posted July 28, 2010 Posted July 28, 2010 *General post*People are hungry and homeless here in USA. Hungry Yes there are.They need to be helped as far as possible.Hopefully from homeless and hungry to a job and a home. The wish to have immigrants learn english to help us to help themselves is viewed as starving and cold hearted. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Liz Posted July 28, 2010 Posted July 28, 2010 Originally Posted By: Renewed_faith we let our own legal residents of America starve to death on our streets and in our homes because we give money to others who don't even learn our language? That is not happening. Put a fire to that strawman. Get rid of him. shew shew Actually I guess I was replying to this particular post, when I found that little clip. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 28, 2010 Author Members Posted July 28, 2010 Originally Posted By: Shane We do need to protect civil rights. If that means raising taxes, then we raise taxes. Starving people to death because they don't speak English is just not right. I am all about love. I am all about freedom. I just want to wrap my arms around people and tell them how much they are appreciated. pals I just can't see starving someone to death because they don't speak English. That is worth posting again. Civil rights are very important. Shane, the illegal immigrants get more benefits and money than I do as an American citizen. It pays to be Hispanic and have hordes of children, and be illegal aliens here in the US. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Outta Here Posted July 28, 2010 Posted July 28, 2010 I think Shane was just talking about the use of a 'strawman' argument in this thread...not that he believes even for one second that there aren't hungry, homeless people in the US. (I could be wrong.) Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted July 28, 2010 Moderators Posted July 28, 2010 So, we're up to 14 pages of rampant xenophobia now... What do we think about the topic question? I've seen lots of discussion of America, and none of heaven. Do we think everyone - all of us immigrants, come to think of it - is going to speak English in Heaven? Is that the underlying assumption? I kinda doubt it... And how are people going to think and live in a world with no shortages? Where there's no poverty, and therefore no wealth? So much energy seems to go into protecting what's 'mine'... But heaven is the ultimate socialist paradise: to each according to his/her need. Maybe this last thought needs a new thread, but I do think it'd be worthwhile spending a little time on the 'what language will we speak in Heaven?' question. Quote Truth is important
Members phkrause Posted July 28, 2010 Members Posted July 28, 2010 So, we're up to 14 pages of rampant xenophobia now... What do we think about the topic question? I've seen lots of discussion of America, and none of heaven. Do we think everyone - all of us immigrants, come to think of it - is going to speak English in Heaven? Is that the underlying assumption? I kinda doubt it... And how are people going to think and live in a world with no shortages? Where there's no poverty, and therefore no wealth? So much energy seems to go into protecting what's 'mine'... But heaven is the ultimate socialist paradise: to each according to his/her need. Maybe this last thought needs a new thread, but I do think it'd be worthwhile spending a little time on the 'what language will we speak in Heaven?' question. And best of all, no stinkin politics. Thank God, AMEN. I think some will not know what to do with themselves. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Bravus Posted July 29, 2010 Moderators Posted July 29, 2010 A big and heartfelt 'Amen' to that! Quote Truth is important
Moderators Bravus Posted July 29, 2010 Moderators Posted July 29, 2010 Quote: Shane, the illegal immigrants get more benefits and money than I do as an American citizen. It pays to be Hispanic and have hordes of children, and be illegal aliens here in the US. That is plainly and simply untrue. Demonstrably so. Facts shortly. Quote Truth is important
Moderators Bravus Posted July 29, 2010 Moderators Posted July 29, 2010 http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/social-security-for-immigrants-and-refugees/ Plenty more where that came from, if one is prepared to look and not just assume to worst of others. Quote Truth is important
jasd Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 >>The complete silliness of Cold-hearted conservatives want to stop this so they can pay less taxes. They would deny an immigrant civil rights so they could save 10 to 20 cents on their property taxes.<< How weird!--that said, yeah, I want to save 10 to 20 cents on my property taxes!--even a nickle! And how did the terminology of particular ones turn so bassackwards upon itself that the dialectics conflate "immigrant" with illegal? No one denies the lawful immigrant his or her "civil rights". The issue that noxiously effervesces in today's cultural dialog turns upon the rights, privileges, and criminality of those illegals who constitute an invasion of this land. Methinks that Shane has too much time on his hands and that the Spanish-speaking forum ought to be reopened. [/tic] Quote
jasd Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 >>So, we're up to 14 pages of rampant xenophobia now...<< Xenophobia - good. Wasn't it Aussieland that was, until recently, xenopobic re Orientals - esp the Chinese? (I'd bet that we're more homogenaic than Oz) >>What do we think about the topic question? I've seen lots of discussion of America, and none of heaven.<< Townhall v Theology - boards. >>Do we think everyone - all of us immigrants,<< Jesus Christ told a parable wherein the illegal who sat down with the lawful others - was cast into outer darkness. >>...come to think of it - is going to speak English in Heaven? Is that the underlying assumption? I kinda doubt it...<< That is kinda like the argument proffered - that Conservatives prefer to count their pennies - whilst watching the humgry starve... yes? >>And how are people going to think and live in a world with no shortages? Where there's no poverty, and therefore no wealth? So much energy seems to go into protecting what's 'mine'... But heaven is the ultimate socialist paradise: to each according to his/her need.<< Yet, some will shine as the sun - while others will abide in eternal shame - needful or not. (Writ castigates the one unmindful of his or her inheritance - and calls that person - profane. This land is my inheritance - and I eschew unlawfulness - no matter its colour or the form it takes.) >>Maybe this last thought needs a new thread, but I do think it'd be worthwhile spending a little time on the 'what language will we speak in Heaven?' question.<< Why!--English, of course! It is the "pure language", which Holy Writ says Gd will provide. There. :) Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted July 29, 2010 Moderators Posted July 29, 2010 Oh, Australia has more than its share of xenophobes, I make no bones about that. And I castigate them at home as well as abroad: I'm not at all having a go at all Americans, just xenophobia. I'll call it when and where I see it. Quote Truth is important
Renewed_faith Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 [q Quote: Shane, the illegal immigrants get more benefits and money than I do as an American citizen. It pays to be Hispanic and have hordes of children, and be illegal aliens here in the US. I know this for a fact that the illegal aliens are and have been getting more help than most Americans here in the US. I have joked with my children how I should paint my skin another color, speak another language and pretend not to be American just so I could get help with everyday living. End of my opinions on this subject as it is just how described it. Quote: just xenophobia I guess that opinions are subject to others degradement and I am done with it. SO long! Quote
jasd Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 >>That is plainly and simply untrue. Demonstrably so. Facts shortly.<< Umm, not so fast! We have in America - what are designated "Anchor babies". That anchor baby, born to illegals, entitles the family to a home, to regular monie$, to food stamps, to medical care - and sometimes, an automobile and furniture and... More anchor babies, more the benefit$. Bigger the family, bigger the benefitS. And, it is doubtful that many here have been to such border towns such as the California town of San Ysidro. It's an experience! You would never in your life - again - see so many storefronts whose business is entirely rental mail drops! Aieeee! chihuahua! You ask, what are all those mail drops for? Money makes the world go around, The world go around, The world go around, Money makes the world go around, Of that we can be sure. Money Money Money Money Money Money Money Money Money .............. Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted July 29, 2010 Moderators Posted July 29, 2010 The right to free speech does not include the right to freedom from disagreement. You have every right to state your opinion. I have every right to state my different opinion. I also have every right to bring facts and evidence that show that your opinion is based on ignorance and prejudice rather than reality. If you're done with that, you're done with life in general, 'cos that's how it is. Quote Truth is important
bonnie Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 How weird!--that said, yeah, I want to save 10 to 20 cents on my property taxes!--even a nickle! Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
bonnie Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 It appears that those that come here,work hard,diligently learning what they need to know for a better life are completely opposed and disgusted by their countrymen that won't. Are they in contempt of them? Our neighbor three houses down has a term for them.You may call him guilty of xenophobia. He thinks they are leeches,unwilling to try and take and take. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Dr. Shane Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 Look at the people who are homeless... Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 No one denies the lawful immigrant his or her "civil rights". Most Spanish-speaking people in the US are not illegal immigrants. Even most Spanish-speaking people in the US that cannot speak English are not illegal immigrants. Yes, what we have seen in this thread is that people do not want to provide translators for non-English speaking immigrants that are arrested with the presumption of innocence. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
bonnie Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 Originally Posted By: Renewed_faith Look at the people who are homeless... I have. They are mostly alcoholics, drug addicts and mentally ill. Originally Posted By: Renewed_faith homeless... there are children standing behind the last person... I have worked with the Salvation Army and never saw any children living on the streets. If we had ever seen that we would have called the county and gotten the kids into Foster Care. Not necessarily. And yes children are part of the homeless, Our most active and most productive help is from a private charity. 92 cents of every dollar goes to the homeless. She has on average 100 families,325 including children at any given time. No,she doesn't call foster care,she helps the families to get re-established. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Dr. Shane Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 We have in America - what are designated "Anchor babies". Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 I also have every right to bring facts and evidence that show that your opinion is based on ignorance and prejudice rather than reality. It really pains me to disagree with you here, Bravus but I do think you are missing something there. I think people are afraid of immigrants mostly due to fear. They will not listen to reason because their fear will not let them. Every time they hear "press one for English" fear grips their heart. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted July 29, 2010 Posted July 29, 2010 yes children are part of the homeless Not in America. In Mexico, yes. I know some cold-hearted conservatives want the US to be more like Mexico. But for now, children in the US are given shelter when their parents cannot or will not provide it. Like many things it comes down to definitions. I was a homeless child. I slept under bridges and ate out of dumpsters. That is what most people think of when we talk about homelessness. However that is not what is considered homeless by government statistics. Any children living with their families in shelters are considered homeless. These children go to school, get medical attention and eat meals on a regular basis. Technically they are homeless but not what I call homeless. Most of these "homeless" children are there as a result of divorce or abandonment by their fathers. They are not there because Spanish-speaking immigrants are taking all the jobs or welfare money. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.